FACTS foster volunteers provide a temporary home for dogs as they await transport, a court date or the discovery of a forever home. Fostering can last anywhere from a few days to a few months, depending on the specific circumstances of the animal.
FACTS provides kenneling materials, food and covers all medical expenses. We will also pair foster volunteers with support volunteers, who will assist in transporting the animal or supplies, dog-sitting if the foster must go out of town, or any other need that may arise.
Foster homes are the BACKBONE of the this operation. Please considering giving this fulfilling, life-changing service a shot.
(1) How long do foster cases last? It completely depends on the situation. The average stay in a foster home is about 2 months, though sometimes it may last for 1 week and sometimes it may last for 1 year.
(2) What supplies are needed to foster? Foster parents provide space, bedding and love for the animal. FACTS Jefferson will provide you with food, medical care, medication and non-soft equipment (such as kennels or crates) needed throughout your foster experience.
(3) Do I need to have prior medical knowledge or expertise? No, but you may be asked to dispense medicine to your foster animal so you will have to be comfortable following veterinarian’s instructions.
(4) What if my foster animal becomes sick? All veterinary costs are paid by FACTS Jefferson. If a foster animal becomes sick, foster parents must call the Foster Coordinator to request an authorization for a vet visit. There is a selected list of veterinarian clinics which will bill FACTS Jefferson directly.
(5) What if I have children? Fostering is a wonderful family experience and can build a foundation of philanthropy in your children. It’s important to select a cat that is “age” appropriate with your children. You must also be diligent about providing guidance, instructions and rules to your children about caring for an orphaned animal.
(6) Can I adopt my foster animal? YES! Foster parents have first choice to adopt their foster animal, however, all would-be adopters must go through the FACTS Jefferson adoption process.
(7) How are FACTS Jefferson foster animals promoted? Photos and stories of all adoptable dogs in foster homes are posted on Petfinder.com, Facebook and our website. Also, FACTS Jefferson displays its adoptable animals at periodic events. Because many of our fosters will transport to New England, information about appropriate animals will be submitted for transport consideration.